Tuesday 20 May 2008

Victoria Barracks, Paddington


An Australian Army barracks, one of the best-known examples of colonial military architecture in Australia. The majority of the barracks was constructed by convicts, using locally quarried sandstone, between February 1841 and April 1848. The barracks were occupied by British troops up until 1870 and then taken over by the New South Wales colonial forces. Currently home to both Headquarters Land Command and Headquarters Training Command.

There are guided tours at 10am on Thursdays. I took these on a Saturday, and couldn't get in - took these photos through the fence.

5 comments:

  1. You didn’t think about chancing your arm and scaling the fence? :)

    I have been fortunate to visit, and can say that they are well worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On yours, and others recommendatons I will visit one day. And the tour is free! I did try to get in but the guard at the gate very politely, but firmly, turned me back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos of an impressive place. It does look like you should try to get in one day and see what is in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see all these wonderful shots Sally. You certainly put in a huge effort and show us so much of Sydney.
    I just wanted to say that I hope your expedition to Europe is most enjoyable. As I don't know exactly when it is to be, I am wishing you all the best. I hope we can see some images while you are there, but I understand that it may not be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband lived in Sydney until he graduated and so we visit often. But I must say that the Victoria Barracks were a bit closed off and not part of my normal tourist trek. Many thanks for the link
    Hels
    http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com/2010/09/victoria-barracks-sydney.html

    ReplyDelete