Monday 19 March 2007

Modernism

A year ago, one of Sydney's most well known architects, Harry Seidler, died. He was the architect of more than one controversial project, none more so than Blues Point Tower on the northern shore of Sydney Harbour. However, before all that, between 1958 and 1960, he built an ultra modernist house for his parents - which you can see by clicking here. This became a very influential house.
In the 1960s, many such houses were built in suburban areas. Unlike today's huge McMansions, they were often small, fuctional, with clean lines. As far as I know, this house is the only example of the type of 1960s modernist architecture in my area. Love it, or hate it, it is an example of an era, and I suspect that this one won't survive much longer - many have already been demolished to make way for the larger houses demanded today.

12 comments:

  1. For sure this kind of design has been a "passage" from an era to another. To be honest I'm afraid that none of this kind of "modernism" will be remembered in centuries especially if compared with really great design of same era. One name for everyone: Alvar Aalto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from the US of A and recently have been finding myself in love with all things Aussie. I'm wondering if you might be able to take some pictures of bookstores in your travels?
    I love your blog...it's a great way for me to get to know the area. Your pictures are very very sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. spiders - my first request! I will certainly do what I can. Small quiry and independent bookshops through to multinationals like Borders! They're all here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, a second request if you allow me: i remember that we saw some beautiful houses in an area called Vaucluse (i think...). Could you show us some photos from there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, don't tell me this house will have to go, I love it!

    Hey looks like the requests are flowing, that's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok alice - I'll put Vaucluse on the list. Will have to wait a few weeks - my weekends are accounted for in the near future! PS A lot of Vaucluse houses are behind high fences and have security cameraspoking at you! But I shall not be daunted.

    In the meantime, drool here: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2006308502&ts=1

    http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2006304603

    http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2006280893

    And for one of the best websites EVER, hvae alook at 92 year old Alan walking Sydney's streets! Vaucluse is there in "East and City"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally try this link for

    Alan's website.
    I check in on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid I don't feel sorry this house will be demolished! They may be functional houses, but sincerely I am not a big fan of this cubical style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it for its clean lines. Some 60s designs are pain to my eyes , definitely not this and the one of the link!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's with these ugly larger houses everywhere? I HATE them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like his designs. He has good taste!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete