Monday 5 March 2007

War Graves

I've seen lots of cemeteries just like this in France and Turkey. They are maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and are sights of pilgrimage for many Australians whose ancestors fought in far-away places in World War One. Click here for info and a great aerial shot of the one at Villers-Bretonneux in France.
What I didn't know is that there is just such a cemetery here in Sydney (and other places in Australia, 70 in all - see here). This one is a part of the vast Rookwood Cemetery. It is the final home of service men and women who died in Sydney during World War One and World War Two.
There's some more photos of this cemetery here.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there were war graves in Sydney (or other Australian cities) Sally. It's really interesting for me as I am reading Les Carlyon's The Great War at the moment and have visited many of the WW1 cemeteries in France. I must take a trip to Rookwood soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these cemeteries in France or elsewhere, with their lines of simple white crosses must be very mouving but i am just unable to stand a visit. When I was young, a history teacher took us to Normandy but I stayed in the bus. Now, adult, I can make an effort but it's very hard, i'm always thinking too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. paul - I was as surprised. Carlyon's books Gallipoli and The Great War are both magnificent.

    alice - yes, it takes great fortitude. Tell you what - one day I would love to accompany you. One of the most moving days of my life was spending Anzac Day (25 April) around the ceremonies of the Somme - at Villers Bretonneux and Bullecourt.

    ReplyDelete