Thursday 13 November 2008

Midden (Sculpture By The Sea 23)




Midden by Matthew Harding (Victoria). Made of Australian limestone.

"Accumulating over thousands of years Aboriginal shell middens are small mounds comprised of shell fragment and flaking stone where people once gathered above the tide line."

To view all my 2008 Sculpture By The Sea posts CLICK HERE.

To view additional sculptures on Sydney Daily Photo Extra, CLICK HERE.. Today I have posted some additional photos of shelled creatures and sculptures of stone.

5 comments:

  1. Irresistible! The dog I mean...but also the shells. I'm not clear if these are real shells or sculptures of shells but presume the latter?

    Loved yesterday's jacaranda. What's the name of that town in NSW - perhaps Queensland - that has a main street of Jacarandas? Quite stunning. I drove thru it en route from Hobart to Cairns but have forgotten its name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a most interesting shot.

    I really thought the dog had knocked over some kind of sculpture and being made from plaster broke. Is that what this is suppose to look like. Broken sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sally THANKS for yesterday's jacaranda blooms, what a joy!!!!
    Now I'm even more sick to see Sydney!

    I remember your photo at Sydney Uni so well I didn't even have to click on the link to view it, it is engraved in my mind!!

    The midden is a great idea. The extra-large format works well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful shot--love the addition of the dog in one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been totally out of it. How did I miss all of these great shots? At first I thought the dog toppled everything over, until I read your description!

    ReplyDelete