Sunday 14 September 2008

Wolli Creek - a new suburb (Tempe House Tour Part 1)

Come with me over the next few days as we have a look around a "brownfields" housing development: the re-use of inner-urban land for modern housing development.

The Wolli (pronounced Woll-eye) Creek apartment development is in an area previously called North Arncliffe. It will house 7000 people, and is an example of creating a new suburb in an inner urban area. It was the site of light industry and a magnificent historic house, Tempe House which had fallen in to disrepair. Come with me over the next week or so while we take a stroll through the Tempe House area of Wolli Creek.

From 1884 to 1983, the house was occupied by Catholic nuns, the Magdalen Sisters, and the church dates from that time. It is now de-commissioned as a church. It is meant to function as some kind of community facility, but as yet, nothing seems to have happened there - it is always locked and off-limits.

Below: The church and Tempe House. Over the next week I will tell you more about Tempe House.


View Larger Map

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is great Sally! I'm looking forward to the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we pay at the end of the tour?

    You've piqued my interest Sally. The top pic really jumped out at me.

    The place is very clean isn't it. What's the black walkway? It isn't recycled tires (tyres) is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free tour! No tips required ;-)

    I think the black pavement is just plain old asphalt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you framed the church using the new structures; really makes it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the first for the angle of the shot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciating the timne annd effort you pput
    into your site and detailed information you provide.
    It's nice to come across a blog eveery once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information. Great read!
    I've saved your site and I'm including your RSS fees to my Google account.



    Check out my website ... sleep apnea treatment mouthpiece

    ReplyDelete