Wednesday 16 May 2007

The Silver Shish Kebab


Sculpture formally called "Pyramid Tower" and usually known as the "silver shish kebab", by Bert Flugelman. It provoked some controversy when it was placed in Martin Place. Former Lord Mayor, Frank Sartor is said to have disliked it so much, he had it removed from that location in 1996. It disappeared from sight for a while, until it came to its present site on the corner of Pitt and Spring Sts.
More about Flugelman here and here.
I've always liked it. I also think it is a good setting - better than Martin Place, actually. Martin Place is wide and lined by colonial sandstone buildings (and some appalling modernist intruders). I think it looks good here amongst glass and concrete, with the narrow streetscape behind. What do you think?

13 comments:

  1. What a strange sculpture !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It surely does resemble a shish kabob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't remove it ever. I like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this scuplture too and it seems to fit perfectly this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this sculpture. Looks like it's floating in air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shish kebab name really suits it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sally,

    Im A journalism student in Melbourne University. I am currently doing an article about photobloggers and the CityDailyPhotoBlog community.

    I have always been looking up your blog for interesting photos and I think it will be really nice if I can have an interview with you about the issue.

    Pleae reply me through my email( tyng.alicia@gmail.com)if you are interested.

    Thank you very much =)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! It looks like a bracelet standing on edge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is cool. REALLY cool. :D
    They shouldn't remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. c'est vraiment tres surprenant comme sculpture. est ce que cela tourne ? en plein soleil, cela doit etre beau, cela doit refleter le soleil de partout


    it is really very surprising like sculpture. is what that turns? in full sun, that must be beautiful, that must reflect the sun of everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  11. its lovely and i've never thought a sculptured kebab

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like most modern art and sculpture but am lame about stainless steel. I see it so much these days. It is like, "What ever happened to marble?" I also like your photograph of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Sally, this is an excellent pic. I was there last week at lunch time, took a photo and later discarded it, no good. I like yours much better.
    Plus only through you would I learn that it's called the silver shish kebab - another demonstration of Aussie genius in finding humorous names for things.

    And... I like the sculpture very much.

    ReplyDelete