Thursday 30 October 2008

Soldier Scale 1:1 (Sculpture By The Sea 11)


I thought a switch from animals to the human form might be in order today. Last year, one of my favourite SxS pieces, Bella, was sitting hereabouts (no prizes for guessing, with my love of swimming why she was a favourite!)

This is an altogether bleaker subject. This anguished soldier is made of polystyrene and polyurethane. Artists Ruth Bellotti and Steve Rosewell comment: "A normally heroic toy figure is given a twist in this life sized sculpture."

To view all my 2008 Sculpture By The Sea posts CLICK HERE.

4 comments:

  1. c'est un beau symbole ce cœur (enfin je pense que c'est un cœur) dans le dos de ce soldat.
    on dirait un petit soldat pour jouer.

    it is a beautiful symbol that heart (well I think it's a heart) in the back of this soldier.
    it looks like a little soldier to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is so powerful.

    I thought that it was a bullet wound on his back???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo with the green plastic and the sand contrast. Are his feet on a wave board?

    ReplyDelete