Thursday 9 October 2008

Here's one for Jilly in Menton



Trinity Beach, just north of Cairns. There's no swimming on this part of the beach between November and May because that's "stinger season". The main two to worry about are the Box Jellyfish and the Irukandji Jellyfish.

The Box Jellyfish can administer a sting that inflicts searing pain and leaves prominent scares, and if severe enough can be fatal.


The Irukandji are much smaller than box jellyfish, and inhabit a large sea area that includes the Great Barrier Reef and beaches.


The sting is only moderately painful and scarring is minimal, but approximately 30 minutes after the sting the patient develops severe back and abdominal pain, limb or joint pain, nausea and vomiting, sweating and agitation. It too can be fatal.


Many of the popular beaches have "stinger nets" enclosures designed to keep them out and where swimming should be safe. When we snorkelled on the reef we wore lycra top to toe stinger suits. They even have coverings for your hands and head.


Many beaches in northern Queensland have bottles of vinegar on hand in order to provide first aid treatment. Here's what wikipedia says about vinegar treatment:

Following a sting, vinegar should be applied for a minimum of 30 seconds. Acetic acid, found in vinegar, disables the box jelly's nematocysts that have not yet discharged into the bloodstream (though it will not alleviate the pain). Vinegar may also be applied to adherent tentacles, which should then be removed immediately; this should be done with the use of a towel or glove to avoid bringing the tentacles into further contact with the skin. These tentacles will still sting if separate from the bell, or if the creature is dead. Removing the tentacles without first applying vinegar may cause unfired nematocysts to come into contact with the skin and fire, resulting in a greater degree of envenomation. Vinegar has helped save dozens of lives on Australian beaches.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, Sally. I had no idea jellyfish were a problem there. I was stung pretty badly by one when I was a girl. It was in South Padre Island, Texas and I have no idea what kind it was. But, my mom poured vinegar on it! (And my poor foot swelled up like a balloon...)

    This sure is a lovely beach, however. Even though this picture is for Jilly, I want to look at it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sally, MY beach! I lived on Trinity Beach for three years - left in 1991. And it looks just the same... I'm homesick. Thanks for this SO much.

    You realise you have now completely thrown my day and perhaps ruined my life forever....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear oh dear, now I have to look after Jilly to make sure she survives your post, Sally!

    What a great photo, just beautiful - I like that it's also very informative about stingers. It's something the QLD tourist office is always very discreet about and it's hard to find proper information. I've been there and know about the different types of jellyfish, but few people do. Well done Sally!

    (Trust you're having a great time)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've rather enjoyed your holiday... err conference, Sally!

    nice idea all up!

    Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a moment, I thought I went to the wrong blog. You are now in Cairns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that beach is where i wanna be. great pic, thanks for sharing

    Cheers

    http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. One beautiful beach but nobody can bathe; _ (
    I return in Menton

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally, this photo immediately caught my eye...fantastic. Great info on those pesky jellyfish,too. Despite all that, I'd love to be in that place...forever! I wonder what it must feel like to have that kind of environment available all year long...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems so unfair that that beautiful beach is so dangerous...interesting facts about the jellyfish. When my husband was stung here in France I wonder if vinegar would have worked to kill the pain..

    ReplyDelete
  10. angela - vinegar doesn't help the pain - it just immobilises the sting things to make it easier to get them off and stop further damage! Apparently it is excrutiatingly painful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been following your travel through Cairns area with much interest, because, as I previously told you, it's the place I most want to visit in Australia. You have given very interesting information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful beach, but I must admit, the jellyfish story scares me. I think I'd have to just admire the surf and stay out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful beach. Better to be safe than sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. la plage est magnifique, et j'adore le dernier panneau avec les méduses.

    the beach is beautiful, and I love the last panel with jellyfish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful beach, but I ahd no idea of the dangers that lurk there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes...
    Is swimming really that much fun?

    ReplyDelete