Tuesday 21 October 2008

Lilywhite (Sculpture By The Sea 2)



Lillywhite by Roger Rigorth.

Materials:wood, coconut fibre and aluminium pipe.

Can you imagine running your fingers across those fibre strands, or sticking your hand in that hole? Maybe there's an octopus caught in there, or something warmer, fluffier and more inviting?

This work appeals to me as being a particularly tactile experience. It reminds me of an outrigger oar and a traditional basket. I like forming my own reactions to the works before reading anything about the artist's or critics' views.

In the Education Kit accompanying the exhibition, it states that it is "based on a cocoon, something between a body and a vessel. It is about carrying things which cannot be seen, touched or smelt. Roger is fascinated with the need to move, to explore, to find things and leave old things behind. He is also fascinated with bodies, cocoons, shells and containers. The theme of this sculpture is that it is a kind of creature that has washed up on the shore of the beach. 'We are surrounded by many invisible energies, thoughts, spoken words and things. This cocoon or 'creature' is an example, which collects these 'things', these stories from everywhere.' Roger is also influenced by tribal societies and their practical, spiritual and mental skills to cooperate with their surroundings and natural environment. He loves wool and all kinds of natural materials, everything which could possibly have a kind of soul." (Source: Sculpture By The Sea 2008 Education Kit)

Read more, and see some sketches here. See more of Roger Rigorth's works here (in German)
and more here.

Tomorrow: A cultural icon of the 20th century, achieveing more than 15 minutes of fame.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely sculptures Sally, lovely scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encore assez surprenant, on dirait une immense corne musicale.
    Surprisingly enough, it looks like a huge musical horn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wise to form your on opinion and with most forms of art I agree. One exception is ballet. I'm am completely lost without reading a description of the performance.

    Thanks for you comment of congratulations on the arrival of our grandson. Sorry my filtering software gave you some difficulty. I will work to resolve the filtering problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally! Great shots! And interesting to see that there are still people who have opinions before reading the others'... Sounds rare today... ;))
    I wonder why I have to find your tour in such exotic blogs like NYC... ;))
    Meanwhile, Blogtrotter has a Rhapsody in Blue post!! Not many words, just the rhapsody! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah I'm so happy.
    I really like this piece, to me it looks like a manta ray and it is also reminiscent of the Torres straight islander Aboriginal woven work, I love it.

    Thanks for your posts and efforts with repeat visits Sally, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That look like it will age ever so gracefully, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this one as well, although I'm not sure which one was my favourite. Your shots are very different to mine (will proabably post some next week). Mine were taken last Sunday when it was an extremely uncomfortable experience and I pretty much gave up and just took crowd shots, although I did manage close ups of some sculptures. If I go next year I think I'll take a day off and go in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your shots of this, uh, thing. It does make you want to touch it, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete