Thursday 2 October 2008

I'm not in Sydney...

....but where am I?


I'm attending a conference in Cairns in tropical north Queensland. Cairns is the "gateway" to the Great Barrier Reef. It's situated on Trinity Bay, part of the Coral Sea. There's no beach to speak of, as the "beachfront" is a tidal mudflat - not what tourists are generally looking for! (though apparently it was orginally a sandy beach, but dredging the shipping channel covered the sand with mud. Cairns has traditionally been seen as a convenient base for trips into World Heritage Rainforest and the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef.

In recent times, the Esplanade area has been completely made over, and as well as boardwalks, kids' playgrounds, large swathes of grass and shade trees, barbecues, there is this massive free swimming lagoon, complete with sand beach. It covers 4 hecctares, and is open daily between 6am and 10pm, and patrolled by security guards outside those times to prevent damage.

The water in the lagoon is sea water, but cleaned and filtered every few hours. No marine 'stingers' can enter the water, so it's safe for swimming all year round (you don't go in coastal water in northern Qld between November and April unless wearing a "stinger suit" to protect against deadly jellyfish). And the beaches and estuaries are crocodile territory as well.

So far I've swum here both days we've been here.

For a whole heap of my pictures of the Cairns lagoon, click here.

15 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place for a trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sally you make me homesick. I lived in Cairns for three years. Worked in Cairns, living on Trinity Beach. I'd love to see all the new development. I hear it's amazing. Now off to look at your Cairns lagoon pics. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A precious child enjoying the water. I love the reflections in the tiny ripples of the water. A great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the baby somehow related to you? He/She is a real cutie!

    Glad you have managed to squeeze some fun into a business trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be there in the water with you! It looks so inviting! Enjoy your conference and stay, and thanks for showing me that water,
    -Kim
    Seattle Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beeyoutifull to me as I sit in my office and look out upon yet another rainy day.

    Like you, I'll stick to the lagoon. No crocs or stingers wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a wonderful holiday in Cairns 20 years ago - your post brought back great memories. In those days there was a fabulous restaurant in the also fabulous botanic gardens - have you had chance to visit there?
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a wonderful holiday in Cairns 20 years ago - your post brought back great memories. In those days there was a fabulous restaurant in the also fabulous botanic gardens - have you had chance to visit there?
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea--this lagoon! The child looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forget that Australia is a day ahead and hence the October 2nd posting which initially caught me off guard. Thank goodness for the nonstingers!!! e get them after full moon every month

    ReplyDelete
  11. The place looks great... there is Spring here is Autumn... I envy you guys down there!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waht a great vacation spot and a precious little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to Australia but Cairns is the place I mostly would love to visit, not only because of the Great Barrier but also for its tropical habitats.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a little child so cute

    I want to come with you

    ReplyDelete