Sunday 26 October 2008

Up In The Air (Sculpture By The Sea 7)

You have to look high to appreciate these works!


Above: Fragment by Kevin Draper. Artist's comment: "This sculpture evolved from a series of works using tripod structures integrated with symbolic plant forms. The tripod acts as an isolating device suspending the tree symbol between the land and the sky."

I love the tree against the sky, especially with the lowering sky, but I'm not very keen on the tripod.

Below: One of the most popular works in the exhibition, and certainly beautiful to watch in motion. It has won the prize for a kinetic work. It's Harmony With The Breeze by Kozo Nishino. The various titanium and stainless steel components move and "flap" in the breeze (which was more like a high wind when I was there). Artist's comment: "I hope the people who come and appreciate my work will feel the comfortable air."




8 comments:

  1. Lovely blue sky at Sidney too :)
    I do love the second sculpture, it's like a butterfly to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to see these sculptures and to experiment with them with photography. You've done a splendid job, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying this spectacular sculpture show. My favorites so far are Ordinary Extraordinary, Keizo Ushio, and Fragment. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wish we had this kind of art installation here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What interesting sculptures, wonderful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous exhibition and what a setting! I love that first one in particular. So much talent here and beautifully photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What will happen to all these sculptures once the show is over? Will they find permanent homes in Australia? I would hate to think of no one being able to see them again. There are really some very creative pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful sculptures
    Astoning walk

    ReplyDelete