Wednesday 30 January 2008

Swimming can include everyone

Still at Cronulla. Another of the rock pools - there are about four along this short stretch of coast. Behind me is a large, shady, green park where lots of families were having picnics and barbecues and playing games from cricket to soccer.

Swimming and learning to swim is such an important part of Australian life and culture than many traditional Muslim women are taking part by wearing a "burquini" - designed by an Australian, Ahead Zanetti. You can see a woman in this photo wearing one. They have been adopted by the Surf Life Saving Association for Muslim women members - see article here

Here's an article about Mecca Laa Laa on patrol at North Cronulla beach. (My sister taught Mecca).

Personally, I love to feel the water on my skin and would feel too restricted, but, hey, if it helps some young women learn to swim, interact with their children in the water, and feel comfortable and culturally included, more power to them.

There's lots more pictures of Shelly beach, here on my "Swimming" blog.










4 comments:

  1. Back from my 3rd trip to Sydney in 5 weeks Sally...i was at a wedding at Cronulla on Sunday arvo and was shocked at the 'cosiness' of the crowd picnicking in the park at South Cronulla...so many people all squashed into a small grassy area!
    Thank you so much for the lovely surprise envelope that arrived from you today...I was stoked!!!guess you are back at work??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great sea photos, Sally. I'd not heard of a muslim woman wearing such clothes. I too would feel far too restricted. She tho must adore that she can swim yet still adhere to her religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beach photos make me miss summer a lot! Lovely blues and candid people shots! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the burquinis are the best things since sliced bread. Didn't realise they were an Aussie invention. Means Muslim girls can continue school swimming right through late primary and high school. Also great for safety as much as anything else, ie, can learn to swim properly and also more effectively supervise own children at the pool or beach.

    ReplyDelete