Tuesday 8 August 2006

The Law of Diminishing Returns

I was seeking shelter from a downpour in a shopping arcade, lamenting the fact that it was all so grim outside and I hadn't found a subject for the blog, when I got captivated by this display of high definition TVs and my thoughts wandered to Economics 101 : the Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns.

The more STUFF we buy, the diminishing marginal return of pleasure from each. . . it's all a gamble, a circus, a roundabout of conspicuous consumption...(except for my digital camera, and computer, and my son's iPod which I love to borrow, and, and, and ... now there are some things that have brought enormous pleasure!)

Guess that's the Law of Hypocritical Contentment [Sally, 2006]

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the Law of Hypocritical Contentment! Good one, Sally!

    ReplyDelete