Tuesday 1 August 2006

Il Porcellino

Today is Daily Photo Theme Day - self portrait in a favourite place.

This is Il Porcellino, outside Sydney Hospital in Macquarie Street. The "little pig", actually a wild boar, is a copy of the one found in the Straw Market in Florence (one of the reasons it is one of my favourite places - it brings back happy memories of various travels). It was presented to the hospital in 1968 by the Marchessa Clarissa Torrigiani in memory of her father and brother – Dr Thomas Fiaschi who died in 1928 and Dr Piero Fiaschi who died in 1948. Both had been renowned surgeons at the hospital. There's more about it here.

Sydney Hospital itself is also interesting; it is Australia's oldest hospital.

For all the other Daily Photo bloggers' self-portraits, visit the sites listed below:
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26

19 comments:

  1. You must be excited! You're probably the first to start the theme. And I just caught myself giggling at the picture and your profile picture...It's the same shot yes? Cheeky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, I discovered your blog via Lebanondailyphotos. I think I'll come back another day to enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. edwin ;-) yep, same shot! I guess I was first, in the absence of a New Zealander...Nice to meet you meg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, now... let me think ... where I have seen this face before? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very beautiful looking hospital, almost looks like it could double for a resort. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which one is you?

    Nah. only joking.

    I like the pig on the pedastall

    like you too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sally!
    Nice smile and like the hair ;)
    you,Sebastian and anne have the most honest portraits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol@you all.
    kris - i have to admit I took another more recent pic and discarded it because well, if we're talking honesty - the hairdresser had seemed to put that awful grey stuff in my hair instead of its natural dark brown....ahem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I was like "What, Sally's favorite place in Sidney is a hospital?!" And then I read your caption. So now I understand.

    Like Tomate said, I have seen this face somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been playing with Zoom! It's always good to see an happy face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the same photo you cropped your aviator from! Am I right?

    Now that I typed this I see Edwin, tomato, and Eric noticed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, I know that face!
    it is a great picture, you look happy and the blog describing it really adds to the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sally, this is a wonderful shot. I really love the lighting (and seeing your smiling face!).
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. well done on your self portrait - looks a lot better than what I could do - we have wild boars in our mountains =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanksyou everybody for your kind comments. I enjoyed lookign at all your self portraits too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sally, great picture...
    It's really nice to finally see the makers of these beautiful pictures.
    I was amazed though, because I met a similar boar (brother of yours maybe) some days ago in Munich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi sally:

    Nice to meet you (by photo hehehe), I also liked the pic of the statue in the coast. Here in Trujillo live statues are appearing in downtown. I will upload them soon.

    Greetings from another side of the same hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete