Monday 11 September 2006

Sunday in Bondi - latte and hot chocolate

This is a bit of a photo essay, so follow the links as they occur for the "full picture".

It's been windy and rainy in Sydney for four days now. Not to be deterred, however, we set off for Bondi to have a look at the annual kite festival, the Festival of The Winds. Unfortunately, it was too windy (not to mention too wet), and there wasn't an awful lot happening in the sky.

Nothing for it but to repair to the Lamrock Cafe, a cafe with a great view of the beach, and a bit of a Bondi institution, for lattes and hot chocolates, chicken burger for the kid and tapas for the mature (the grilled baby octopus were superb, I'm pleased to report).

Fortunately, as the rain was as coming down both inside and outside, we found a snug corner to settle in for some respite.

Not the usual image of sunny Bondi! On Thursday Sydney exceeded the September average rainfall (av Sep rainfall = 68.7 mm; Thursday 07 = 107.2 mm. But no-one's complaining - we really need rain)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like that respite is being thoroughly enjoyed! Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally I love this photo, it's beautiful, full of warmth and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pity about the weather. I had planned to bring my kids to see the kites but decided not to go. There is always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind comments, all.

    Yes, Paul there's always next year; hope you can make it too, nathalie - and welcome to Sydney, by the way!

    I love looking at both your sites paul and Nathalie and getting so many other views of our shared city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great photos but the comments you are having rain is so welcoming after we get nothing but your hot weather reports.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy! just look at the milk froth! you know Sally, of all the cafes I've sat in, the cafes in Sudney make the best lattes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I know, edwin, but we try not to boast TOO much about it! Besides, in the best tradition of inter-city rivalry, Melbournians beg to differ.

    The main thing I guess is Australia's is an espresso-based coffee culture, and not ependent on chain coffee shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sally! OMG! I just had to come here (from Grant's Scotland DP) and tell you that before I opened the comments for his "Looking down into the Old Town" post I said the EXACT SAME thing you said about it...looking like your 3D Cathedral Game! AMAZING LOL! ;-) Oh, love this shot by the way...perfect way to warm up a cold little guy! (= I can't wait for WINTER so I can have my hot chocolate with marshmallow & Bailey's Irish Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ame - It's rare to meet another cathedral afficianado!

    ReplyDelete