Friday 15 September 2006

My homage to swimming

At 6.01 am most weekday mornings, I am the first to slip into the pool at the gym. I swim 1.5 kms, which takes about 38 minutes...(which means I won't be challenging Grant Hackett, the current short course - 25 m pool - world record holder's 14:10:10 or his long course - 50m - record at 14:34:56 any time soon!)

Some mid-winter mornings I've had the pool to myself the entire time. Now it's light at that time, a few more lappers arrive as well, though I still generally get the first few minutes to myself...I love that solitude - just me and the water.

I love the silky feel of the water as I glide through it, and it's a great way to start the day. I prefer the lane second from the left (for some reason I can't explain). I can't imagine my life without swimming. I remember teaching myself to swim at about age 4, and it's been my preferred form of physical activity for the past 45 years.

4 comments:

  1. Good on you Sally. There is no way I could manage this distance in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sally this is a wonderful shot. The soft colours, the perfect reflection, but more than that, it's a spirited photo.

    I'm a very keen swimmer myself, my standard length is anything between 1 and 2 kms depending on the day, but I hate swimming in winter, so haven't been for months now.

    Only once did I turn up at my local pool at 5:45 am (in summer) and I was flabbergasted to see that it was already awash with arms and legs action(I eventually found they had left a quiet lane in the middle for tourists like me). I can't think of this happening anywhere in France. For starters, the pool wouldn't open before 8am at the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks paul - I have a vested interest in trying to mantain a regular regime. Diabetes and overweight are endemic in my family, and my dad recently died of complications arising from diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally, I have just found your site from Santy's blog in Jakarta. As a transplanted Sydney girl, it so nice to see pictures of the most beautiful city in the world.

    ReplyDelete