Saturday 28 March 2009

Seven Seas Mariner


Here's a close-up of the ship prominent in yesterday's photo. There's also the face of Luna Park lit up, under the far side of the Bridge.

I once organised a conference which included a very well-known overseas speaker. At his insistence, he was lodged in an apartment hotel with a view over the harbour. Imagine my thoughts as this prima donna whinged at me: "They've parked a HUGE ship which is blocking my view." I felt like spitting at him : "Would you like me to arrange for it to be towed out?" but being the true professional I am, held my tongue - due in no small part I suppose to fear he might take me up on it! That ship was the "World" condominium ship - even bigger than this one.

This ship is the Seven Seas Mariner, part of the Regent Seven Seas Fleet. According to their blurb, it is the world's first all-suite, all balcony ship, with a staff to guest ratio of 1:1.6. This is the luxury end of cruising. People in Fort Lauderdale, Vancouver, Singapore, Osaka, Hong Kong, Seward, Buenos Aires, Valparaiso amongst other places possibly will have seen her. She's owned by a company called Prestige Cruise Holdings, a subsidiary of New York based private equity investment company, Apollo Management L.P. The ship is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale.

These megalithic ships dont fit under the Harbour Bridge so they berth at the Overseas Passenger terminal at Circular Quay...many other ships go under the bridge and around the corner to other berths.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great photo. I love the telephoto zoom that caught the lights of the amusement park under the bridge on the other side of the harbor.

    When we were in Sydney over the holidays, we ate at a restaurant next to where that ship is berthed, and we did the bridge climb, harbor cruise, etc.

    I was prmoted to come take a look by seeing your comment on Sharon's Phoenix Daily Photo Site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cruise line info Sally. I'll bet this ship is a bit out of my price range. I was wondering because among my internet "shortcuts" is a link to the Central Princess 'bridge cam'. Whenever I feel the urge I click on that link and find out where the various Princess cruise ships are currently navigating. Many times I find one docked in Sydney.

    You also mentioned the condominium ship and I hadn't thought about that in years. Sometime around 5 to 8 years ago I read an article about that ship where people buy a condo on the ship then continuously travel around the world. What a concept. I'd love to talk to someone who has actually done that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bridge. I will always cherish my bridge climb. I like the amusement park also.

    ReplyDelete