Friday 14 September 2007

Moree



Moree is situatied on black soil plains, which stretch, well, across the rest of the continent, and the next hill is somewhere in Africa! I lived in Moree for a couple of years as a young teacher.

See that racecourse to the right of the second photo? I once went to the races there and there was a dead-heat for first in a three horse race! They even passed the photo of the finish around the crowd for confirmation.

The main crops grown around Moree are wheat and cotton. I can assure you that despite appearances from yesterday's photo, it's NOTHING like England :-)

The other main attraction of Moree is its hot artesian mineral springs, which feed the local pool, and provide a magnet for immigrants of Eastern European origin, many of whom make a yearl pilgrimage to "take the waters" which are supposd to have curative powers. It also keeps the outdoor swimming pool deliciously warm all year round.


I know it's not Sydney, but , hey - it's accessible from Sydney!



18 comments:

  1. I like the second photograph with these lines which leave in all the directions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good aerial shot. I wish I could go flying through my job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah,the black soil plains...when a dog cocks its leg to pee,vehicles get bogged.Looks to be some water in the river too? Sally, so many teachers I know spent time at Moree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally,
    Was two weeks in Greece and survived the Greek fires. Actually I was in the Islands (Kos, Crete and Mykonos) where there were no fires; only the island of Evia was somehow affected. I’m glad to be back and catch up your posts! Actually was missing them, as well as yuor comments.
    As I’m late, my posts at Blogtrotter are still in Bali 2005. Hope you enjoy it, anyhow!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos taken from plane are really great. In particular I love details of images. Thank you about this nice viewing of your country !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! The soil colour is so interesting and different. I love areial shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He I am thinking "where the heck" in Africa is Moree? I've been in the South of Africa, Nice to see this out from the air. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oa0Znm Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. QEc6BC Please write anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Article.

    ReplyDelete
  11. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Article.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Y7YfXj Please write anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please write anything else!

    ReplyDelete