Sunday, 5 September 2010

South Head Signal Station

The lookout was established on 20 January 1790 by Captain John Hunter of H.M.S. Sirius, flagship of the First Fleet to signal the colony of Sydney Cove of any vessels arriving off the port.

A flagstaff and timber huts were placed on site for crew members of the Sirius, who were placed in charge.

The present ston ebuilding was designed by colonial architect, Mortimer Lewis and erected by convict labour in about 1840 to replace the wooden huts.

The station is now staffed by members of the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard.
See and read more here, at Louise's blog : 52 suburbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment