Sunday 25 April 2010

Anzac Day - Lest We Forget


Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) Day. A day of commemoration, with marches in towns and cities throughout Australia and New Zealand.

Link to my four previous Anzac Day posts.

I don't usually go to a march or service, but this year found myself in Sydney as the march came to Hyde Park. Hre's a few snaps I took. The horse in the top left commemorates the Boer War weterans. World War One is commemorated by the flags of the units....there are no living participants left to march.



World War One interests me most, as my grandfather was at Gallipoli and the Western Front. Here's my blog about him: Percy Smith, ANZAC.

On Anzac Day, 2005 I attended the commemorations at Villers-Bretonneux and Bullecourt (pictured) in France, where services and marches are held every year.

4 comments:

  1. My grandpa would have been an ordinary soldier but he was a very fine linguist. He went to France, Egypt and Israel with the Allied commanders and provided them with coordinated translations. He lost a kidney, but at least he survived. I cannot imagine having a husband or father machine gunned to death on a bleak beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a grandfather who fought at Gallipoli certainly makes it personal for you, this day.

    Sally, yesterday I walked among thousands of graves. Please come see how ANZAC Day is commemorated in Jerusalem.

    I am glad now to have experienced this moving day both in Sydney and Mt. Scopus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great post with the old photo! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete