Barrenjoey Lighthouse - one of four Sydney lighthouses outside Sydney Harbour. The others are the Hornby lighthouse at South Head (entrance to the harbour), Macquarie at Vaucluse- Australia's first and thus longest operating lighthouse (see previous blog here) and Cape Bailey, at the entrance to Botany Bay.
This was the third light on the headland, and was completed in 1881. The first report of any light on the headland was in 1855 when a fire was raised in a basket to assist mariners during stormy weather. In 1932 it was converted to automatic operation. It is now under the control of the NSW Parks and Wildlife Service as part of Kuring-gai National Park.
Barrenjoey is made of magnificent sandstone.
Tomorrow a look inside!