Thursday 17 March 2011

Rose Seidler house

Designed by architect Harry Seidler for his parents Rose and Max, built between 1948 and 1950.

In the 1950s and 1960s, many such houses were built in suburban areas. Unlike today's huge McMansions, they were often small, fuctional, with clean lines. Love it, or hate it, it is an example of an era, and I suspect that this one won't survive much longer - many have already been demolished to make way for the larger houses demanded today. This house in Arncliffe was probably part of the movement. As far as I know, this house is the only example of the type of 1960s modernist architecture in my area.

4 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to own and live in this house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often use the house that Harry Seidler designed for his parents as a prime example of Bauhaus principles in post-war Australia. It may have been smallish, by today's standards, but I think today's standards are silly. The Seidler house was perfectly laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Arncliffe House is a 'Beachcomber MkII' designed by Nino Sydney for Lend Lease Homes in 1962. Is it still there?
    See many more at www.beachcomberhouse.com.au

    ReplyDelete